Monday, February 28, 2011

"Miami, 6 AM"

“Est-ceci un coyllar?”

“Mais, oui.”

Babette, she’s so knowledgeable…I knew that there was something special about her. Maybe we will have to get to know each other, and hopefully sooner than later. Yes, it’s a coyllar like the one that was used by Charles VIIth.

When you throw a party, you should make sure that your guests are well fed, entertained and that they will want to come back for the next soiree that you throw. Not to mention, you should give them something that they will talk about long after the event.

Me? No “Wh*te Party” like Sean, I won’t tell invitees what they can and cannot wear. I won’t do “black-tie only” like the Carquinezes, no one wants to look like a penguin on purpose. Fireworks have been done to death, and animals are trite and too Vegas.

I said to myself that I’m going to do something different, something that nobody else has done. It starts with what amounts to the world’s biggest duck blind. That keeps guests wondering and it also keeps my neighbors from tipping off the authorities. It also means that I won’t be needing permits.

“Yes everyone, it is a coyllar, also known to us as a ‘trebuchet.’”

Oh, if they could see the looks on their own faces, like children on Christmas morning in front of hundreds of presents.

“And that, is a Grand Piano. Shall we countdown together?”

“Ten, nine, eight,” ah, now they wake up and join in. “Seven, six, five, four, three, two, one!”

Wu-wonnnnggg!

I don’t know which is more impressive, the rush of air as the trebuchet releases that sizable object, or when it recoils back toward us. It is certainly astounding when something that takes four men to move on the ground, soars through the wind like an eagle. You can certainly imagine that despite being made of wood, that it would cut through a castle wall…or two.

And here comes the splash…no, it is not meant to be. I thought that sandbar was dredged out, this is anticlimactic in a way, though the cheers of my guests suggest otherwise. As long as they are happy, it was all worthwhile. Unfortunately, there won’t be any encores, lest my neighbors or the Coast Guard figures out where that monstrosity came from.

It was a Steinway Model M, Grand Piano, and it was a little less than five-hundred and eighty pounds. Give or take. A floating arm trebuchet would’ve been more efficient, but nothing is more fun than old school mischief. My, I do believe that is Babette’s come hither grin.



The End


This story was part of Informal Exercise #1 for the blog Icarus Flight To Perfection. A big thanks to Sue H. and Nicole for participating.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn, how come I wasn't invited to this?

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

What a fun interpretation!

I like the way this guy thinks.

Princess LadyBug said...

Awesome!! I just love your imagination. :)

SueH said...

I would have loved to watch that! Completely off the wall, Cormac, but it made me grin!
;-)

Coaster Punchman said...

I second what Sue H said. That was silly fun in a good way.

Cormac Brown said...

Nicole,

Don't feel left out. It happened in my mind and I still couldn't make past the valets and security.

Secret Agent Flan,

I like the guy thinks too, though he still won't give any credit to me.

Princess,

It's a dark and scary place, I try to stay out of there as much as possible.

Sue,

I would've loved that a little too much, as my world comes to a standstill when things are flung or vaulted on TV.

Coaster,

I'm glad that you liked it, because I hear that you and George know how to throw a party. So, when we (the family) come down there, I expect large projectiles.

Doc said...

Hey Cormac ol' buddy,

Would you care to see what your Flash Fiction Friday has become? We've assembled most of the old gang and it is really taking off, but it didn't seem fair not to extend an invite to the man who started it all. I'm hosting this week and it would be great if you could pen a little something but if time isn't on your side, I understand. Swing by and drop us a line.

The page is here: http://www.flashfictionfriday.com/

And we are on Facebook too. Just search Flash Fiction Friday.

Take care and thanks,
Doc

Cormac Brown said...

Doc,

Good luck to you, I know that you will do well.