Monday, November 30, 2009

Flash fiction challenge: Walmart, I Love You. "Acceptance"

"Acceptance"

Ante Scriptum: This story has been removed in order to honor a contract with Untreed Reads. When the contract is up, this story will be reposted here.

This was for a flash fiction challenge and I have an alternate story that I did for this same challenge that I'll save for mid-December. This act of arson is allegedly based on an alleged incident that a supermarket allegedly pulled to get rid of a union warehouse. They allegedly did this so that they could move everything to a warehouse in the boonies, that was outside of the union's jurisdiction and in a the county didn't recognize the union's rules.

I don't know the particulars beyond the alleged forklift "accident" and the alleged sprinkler "failure." Everything I've heard about alleged incident was third-hand, so don't ask me to comment on it.

Quoth the Patti-

Steve Weddle recently posted a link on facebook to this. (People of Wal*Mart) and suggested along with Keith Rawson) that Aldo, Gerald and I host a flash challenge using this site as our inspiration.

What I would like to propose is a 750-800 word story that is set, or at least partially set, in a Wal*Mart Store.It could also be a story that refers to such a store in a meaningful way. If you take exception to Walmart, name it something else. We'll know what you mean.

Post the story on your own blog or on Aldo's Powder Burn Flash. I'm thinking of November 30th. Please don't post your story ahead of time--it throws things off. Let Aldo know if you want him to post it. Let Gerald or me know if you're "in" as soon as possible.

Walmart shoppers: beware.

18 comments:

sandra seamans said...

Nice to see the little guy win one! Good story, Cormac!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I love the way you set this up, Cormac. Really cool!

Evan Lewis said...

Brilliant.

Steve Weddle said...

Very nice. Like the structure.

r2 said...

Good one, yet again. Like Sandra, I thought it was cool that the little guy stuck it to the Walm.

Eric Beetner said...

Nice!

Unknown said...

Yeah, that was a beauty. Stellar, Cormac!

Dorte H said...

Great idea to use the stages of grief. Thank you for a different story.

Alan Griffiths said...

Great storytelling Cormac!

John DuMond said...

Payback is a mofo. Cool story, Cormac.

David Barber said...

Great piece of writing Cormac.
Regards, David.

Gerald So said...

As others have said, a fine use of structure.

Paul D Brazill said...

Great story. Made me beam like a 1000 watt light bulb.

Randal Graves said...

Save money. Hire the mob. Wal-Mart.

Cormac Brown said...

Sandra,

Absolutely and thanks.

Patti,

Thank you, and you, Aldo, and Gerald (along with Steve and Keith, this time) bring out the best writer in all of us.

Evan and Steve,

Welcome and thank you.

R2,

Thanks and thank you for pointing out that typo.

Eric and Keith,

Thank you.

Dorte,

Welcome and thank you.

Alan,

Thanks.

John D,

Welcome and that it is, that it is, thank you.

David, Gerald and Paul,

Thank you.

Randal,

I'll have Tengrain do it ; )

pattinase (abbott) said...

Can you send me your email address? Patti

WellesFan said...

Very nicely done.

Cormac Brown said...

Patti,

Done.

Welles,

Thanks and long time no see. I wondered if you quit blogging and the Internet altogether.