Tuesday, November 30, 2010

If there's a bustle in your...

...Heathrow, don't be alarmed now. It's just the airport's first "writer-in-residence," Alain de Botton.




My favorite quote from the article, "I would love to run British Airways, and feel I would be eminently qualified for the job. I don't know very much about making money, and nor do they.

However, I am deeply fascinated by the mechanics of getting planes in the sky and around the world -- and that's their area of expertise, too."

Oh, and Alain, nothing is wrong with JFK. It's a perfectly serviceable airport, especially considering the amount of traffic, and the Port Authority keeping it in a perpetual state of (dis)repair. Try being lost in the bowels of LaGuardia or dealing with the expanse and lack of heating in Detroit. You'll be begging for the mild inconvenience of JFK.

8 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Been through Detroit several times and it was hell, cold, expensive but very bad food even for an airport, and I'd just about rather go to the bathroom in the waiting areas than walk into the rest rooms.

okjimm said...

the longest day of my life was five hours spent at the Cincinnati Airport.

Cormac Brown said...

Beach,

Amen brother, amen.

Jimm,

Sounds like it was blizzard-related.

BeckEye said...

I thought this was going to be a Zeppelinesque post. Damn you.

Cormac Brown said...

Becky,

I would surely apologize...











...except for all the (silly) pop songs that you've inserted into my head, so-
; P

David Barber said...

Having worked at Manchester Airport, first as a baggage handler and then finally getting into the fire service there, there's a lot that the guy wouldn't have see. I could tell you some stories..............for a price of course!! :-)

Randal Graves said...

Am I the only person on the internets who's never flown commercially?

I hate de Botton. Bastard could probably write a narrative about the history of the phone book and make it interesting. Wanker.

Cormac Brown said...

David,

Did you guys use cardboard for sleds, and ride the luggage conveyors?

Randal,

You have to get to Europe, my dear boy. There's too much to do and see over there. I've never read Mssr. de Botton, I'll have to check him out down the road.