Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"So Deaf" Is On Powder Burn Flash

My story "So Deaf" was just posted on Powder Burn Flash.com this morning and this story is bitter sweet for me. The stalwart station of San Francisco Bay Area jazz, KKSF has shut down the terrestrial station and now its presence will be strictly online. Though I haven't listened to the station as much as a I used to, it was still my main non-classical music refuge when I was driving.

Until last year, they had the "Jazz Cafe" on Sunday nights, which was a link to KJAZ in both spirit and in the audio flesh, with a former KJAZ dj running the show. Corporate radio is going to force me by default to switch to Sirius/XM, bastards.

Anyway, the tie-in to my story is that the protagonist is on his way to a jazz club in The Fillmore district here in San Francisco, when he gets a call for assistance. You see, Sgt. Hewitt works with the Gang Suppression Unit and there has just been a shooting not too far from his destination. This my first police procedural, so please, take a look at "So Deaf."

Be assured that like me, my character Sgt. Hewitt had KKSF on his radio before he got the call.

11 comments:

quin browne said...

you have such an ear for dialogue...

Pyzahn said...

Good stuff, Cormac. I'm on the run and was just gonna "glance" but I got sucked in to every word.

Cormac Brown said...

Quin,

Thank you very, very much. That's high praise from a writer of your caliber.

Pyzahn,

Thanks, I'm glad to have made somebody late?

Paul D Brazill said...

Oh, it's fab Cormac!

Cormac Brown said...

Sir Paul,

Ta much.

David Cranmer said...

Sorry to hear a fellow writer/Jazz enthusiast is losing their listening station. And I agree the switch to Sirius/XM is inevitable. I mean just being able to listen to a station of nothing but Miles, Trane etc all day long is tempting.

Cormac Brown said...

David,

Don't get me wrong, sometimes they played a little too much of the worst of Kenny G and similar stuff, but sometimes bad jazz is better than no jazz at all.

Gifted Typist said...

That is poignant

Cormac Brown said...

Gifted,

Thank you.

Freida Bee said...

Oh, that was clever. Even with the name of the story, I didn't see it coming.

I have problems with plot I am realizing.

Cormac Brown said...

Frieda,

I worked backwards on this one, the ending and the title were all I had when I wrote it.