Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Best Of: "Cynara"

Soon, the sixth issue of Astonishing Adventures Magazine and...well, you're just going to have to wait until it arrives.

In the meantime, when Aldo, Gerald and Patti get together? They always come up with a great premise and more often than not, even better flash fiction ensues. One day, they'll give Akashic Noir a run for the money and you will recall that you read that here first.

This story is called "Cynara" and you'll have to read it, to understand the origin of the flash fiction challenge, and just who "Cynara" really is. In this story, for a change of pace, you will have the actual and correct William Congreve quote-

Heav'n has no rage like love to hatred turn'd
Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn'd.

I would bring up a famous Chris Rock quote, but nothing is worse than having the audience fail to make the distinction between the author and the fictional characters that he writes about. So just let me say this of this story's protagonist, you can't spell "lothario" without "l-o-a-t-h." But every story needs a villain and true to noir tradition, trust no one in this story except to do what is best for themselves.

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is "Cynara."

7 comments:

Gifted Typist said...

How do you find the time to crank out all this writing?

Gifted Typist said...

ok, i see now, your pimping your archive. That's good, now I feel less unworthy

Cormac Brown said...

Gifted,

For awhile I was cranking out four stories a week and if I didn't need to decompress when I got home, I could easily do two stories a week. Paul D. Brazill and Keith Rawson crank out at least two a week, right now. Quin and Veronica crank out even more.

Plus, I only have one kid, nor do I run a Typist Dojo.

Gifted,

I pimp the old archive because most of this blog's audience missed the stories the first time out and it gives you something to read, when they other stories get rejected.

Paul D Brazill said...

It's a goody, this. it was one of the first stories of yours that I read.

Cormac Brown said...

Paulie Decibels,

Thanks and I believe "Poker Face" was the first that you read, right?

Paul D Brazill said...

The first was actually 'Swerved' but I didn't realise that it was the same writer! How could I not!

Cormac Brown said...

Paulie Decibels,

My bad, and those two stories are not so similar that one could surmise that the same author wrote both of them.