Saturday, March 13, 2010

R.I.P. Astonishing Adventures Magazine

This post has been sitting in my Draft box for over two weeks, so it's time to get this over with. First the good news, Issue #8 of Astonishing Adventures finally is in a print version.

And now the bad news. Well, it's official, Scarlet has danced her last tango...




John has pulled the plug on Astonishing Adventures Magazine. AAM had a pretty good run, and while it didn't change the literary world or set the publishing world on its ear, AAM filled the pulp niche admirably. Those eight issues were a good run that was chock full of a variety of stories. Unlike other magazines, AAM did not pigeon-hole itself into just one genre.

Rather than harp on those who couldn't take thirty seconds out of their lives to do a small mention in support, I would rather praise the people who did. Some of those people are friends, some of those people were fans, and some were virtual strangers. So (in alphabetical order) Bish's Beat, Bill Crider, BlogCritics.org, Bookgasm, TheNovelBlog.com, and TheShadowSanctum.net.

Hell, even The Rap Sheet mentioned the Premiere Issue of AAM.

With great friends like Paul D. Brazill, Sandra Seamans and Katie Schwartz bringing in hundreds of readers, Astonishing Adventures Magazine should have gone a lot further. Alas, it was not meant to be. So everyone who read or championed AAM? I toast you, sláinte!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a shame, a truly solid well rounded magazine...This seems to be going on too much lately

David Barber said...

Being only a few months or so into this blogging/writing scene, I never really knew the site/magazine. I've read some of your work that was in it and will seek out some others. It would have been nice to have been able to submit something to it.

Regards mate, David.

Unknown said...

The greatest of thanks to all involved and all those who supported us.

I REALLY appreciate your help.

JDC

Crybbe666 said...

Like David, being only new to this writing/blogging game, I never saw this magazine. Doesn't change the fact that it is sad to see someone who, by all accounts, fitted the landscape very well. It is a shame...

Alan Griffiths said...

Sad news Cormac. I never had a chance to see this magazine and the great stuff in contained but to hear that it is closing is sad.

Hope all is well with you?

Kind regards.

Paul D Brazill said...

Sad, sad. A piece of art.

Joe said...

I came to it late, but boy did I enjoy it while it lasted.

Thank you.

Unknown said...

I feel sad each time I see this post in my feed. :(

Cormac Brown said...

David, Aussie Paul, Alan,

If you didn't catch the mention in the sea of Paul's posts, or at this blog, you wouldn'nt have caught them at all.

David, Aussie Paul, Alan, Paulie Decibels, Bubs,

Thank you all for the condolences, and I've moved on to acceptance.

Johnny Dollars,

You're welcome, and thank you very much for letting me a part of such a wonderful thing. The post has disappeared from your feed, some twenty minutes ago.

Unknown said...

Scarlett will dance again, I just have to figure out how.