Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Non-ficton With Bubs

The two books that I buy without except every year, regardless of the selected authors, are The Best American Mystery Stories (B.A.M.S) and The Best American Crime Reporting (B.A.C.R.) The latter is an anthology of crime and mystery-related articles from every magazine in America.

Well, lo and behold, there is a writer in that Sprawling Ramshackle Compound, and his name is Joe O'Sullivan. His writing debut is in Farmhouse Magazine and the title of it is "My Day With Antonia." He gives B.A.C.R. a run for the money and true crime never read so good...or so funny.


Pssst, Katie Schwartz has an eye for talent.

7 comments:

Doc said...

I remember the first time I read this story on Bub's blog, I just sat and laughed and shook my head. What Bub's doesn't mention is that in his next post for his blog he wrote out the complicated recipe for a drink that MizBubs liked to call the "Pineapple Tranny" and they enjoyed it for Sunday Cocktails.

After reading this entry, I promised myself that I was going to read whatever he wrote.

Thanks for the heads-up Cormac. My subscription to Farmhouse Magazine has lapsed.

I wonder if Joe O'Sullivan is a pen name. I would think it would have to be. After all, who ever heard of an Irish cop?

Doc

Cormac Brown said...

Doc,

You're welcome and...

"After all, who ever heard of an Irish cop?"

They seem to be fairly elusive, don't they?

Joe said...

Holy cow, thanks for the mention Cormac!

I was going to do a post tooting my own horn on Friday when things slow down.

This marks the first steps toward easing up on the anonymity of my blog. We'll see what happens

Paul D Brazill said...

oh, that's really, really good that is. nice suprise.

Cormac Brown said...

Bubs,

You're welcome and hopefully nothing but good will come of your unmasking, Kimosabe.

Paulie Decibels,

It's a good slice of something different...the story that is, not the tranny.

Gifted Typist said...

Dang the links dead
but I always knew there was a writer in that SRC, must search out the link

Cormac Brown said...

Gifted,

Thanks for pointing it out and I believe I have rectified it. Katie had the exact same problem with her link and I believe that has to do with the length of the URL. If it doesn't work, click the "Farmhouse" site and go into the "Essays" portion.